The Importance of the PCB Potting Compound in the electronics industryBest Epoxy Adhesive Glue Manufacturer
The Importance of the PCB Potting Compound in the electronics industry
The PCB is a very delicate component of an electronic device. Due to its delicate nature, it needs to be protected from external hazards. Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) are used to house some of the most critical parts of an electronic device. The PCB potting method is used by electronic engineers to protect all the components of a device from damage. The PCB potting method is one way to keep these components safe, while the other option is the conformal coating method.
The PCB has a convoluted surface that comes with resistors, fuses, diodes, capacitors, and so on. Each one of these components plays an important role to ensure that the entire PCB component produces the intended performance. The PCB potting process is just like the conformal coating process and it uses organic polymers for protecting the PCBS and other related electronic components.
The dangers of not protecting your PCB board
The PCB board is a vital part of an electronic device. The board comes with various elements that perform a special function in the device. If any one of these elements gets damaged, the entire PCB circuit board may fail. They are most susceptible in extreme environments like
- Harsh temperatures
- Excess cold
- Extreme humidity
- Rogue impacts
When the PCB is exposed to any one of these conditions it can lead to decomposition, conductor corrosion, and low insulation resistance. This way, the lifespan of the PCB board will be significantly reduced. Once the PCB in an electronic device fails, the entire product stops working. This means that the electronic product will not be in use for the intended period. To avoid this unfavourable situation, it is better to protect the PCB boards. The use of PCB potting compounds is used to protect the circuit and maintain its functionality in the long term.
What is PCB potting?
PCB potting is a method whereby PCB (printed circuit boards) are protected with a potting compound. The potting compound is a liquid material that is used to fill up the PCB enclosure. The potting compound is also called an encapsulation resin. In PCB potting, the liquid compound helps to fill up the housing of the device. In most cases, this potting compound is used to cover the whole circuit board and other parts. Additionally, the compound can be used to pot separate components in the device. Potting is an innovative way of protecting all the internal components of an electronic device. This process is used to provide the following benefits for the PCB device:
- Resistance to abrasion
- Shielding the device from heat
- Protection from humidity
- Protection against chemicals
- Protection from impacts
- Protection from various environmental factors.
Potting is a special process that is done during PCB fabrication. It is used to protect the PCBs from unfavourable elements such as
Types of PCB potting compounds
PCB potting compounds are very important to the electronics industry in that they provide various benefits for devices. When it comes to PCB potting compounds, there are several types. These include:
- Epoxy:This is a very common PCB potting compoundthat provides durable results that also has excellent chemical resistance. The remarkable adhesion properties make the epoxy potting compound very useful for various PCB substrates. Epoxy also has various mechanical properties which makes it a highly desirable compound for PCB potting. However, one of the downsides of the Epoxy PCB potting compound is that it takes quite some time to set. It is easily applied in cases where fast setting times are not a requirement.
- Polyurethane:The Polyurethane PCB potting compound is a softer material for potting. It is more pliable and works great when trying to protect sensitive connectors and similar components. This PCB potting compound helps protect sensitive components that are susceptible to other rigid materials. However, polyurethane PCB potting has inferior heat and water resistance when compared to other potting compounds.
- Silicone:Silicone PCB potting compounds are some of the most flexible and durable potting compounds. This option is highly suitable in cases where an extreme temperature is a constant threat. This PCB potting compound has special temperature-resistant properties. But it is very expensive, which makes it not practical for certain applications.
The importance of PCB potting compounds to the electronics industry
The PCB potting compound is a superior solution for protecting PCBs. In most applications, PCB potting works to produce the desired results. This is a special device protection solution that works to protect your PCB substrates from impacts, moisture, vibration, corrosion, and most other hazards. PCB potting compounds are very important to the electronics industry because they provide the following benefits:
- The PCB potting compound is a great option for applications that needs a great solution for resisting chemicals, heat, abrasion, impacts, and vibration. In general, PCB potting compounds are highly suitable where superior protection from physical impact is needed. They offer excellent protection performance.
- PCB potting compounds are suitable for shielding the device from electrical arcs. This means that PCB potting is commonly applied in high-voltage electrical devices.
- One importance of PCB potting that manufacturers find useful is how relatively quickly the solution can be installed. It can be easily and quickly applied on the assembly line.
- PCB potting compounds are useful whenever work is needed at a high volume.
When is potting important
PCB potting compounds are one way of protecting PCB boards, there is another option known as conformal coating. Both methods are effective in providing exceptional protection for the board. However, both methods come into their element in specific situations. For the PCB potting compounds, it offers excellent protection when the board needs to resist specific hazards. It helps protect against moisture, high temperature, chemicals, abrasion, and physical shock. Potting can also be used to dampen extreme vibrations in the PCB boards. Then again, manufacturers depend on the PCB potting compound to enhance the privacy of their engineering designs – this is possible due to its coloured resin.